Wednesday, January 12, 2011

High on Music: Beat the Winter Mood

"You probably have certain music that you love listening to, but you probably didn't realize that the same brain processes that happen when you're rocking out with your MP3 player are the same as those associated with food, psychoactive drugs, and money. WebMD reports on a study in Nature Neuroscience showing that the brain chemical dopamine gets released when listening to music - or even anticipating listening to music - and that contributes to your subsequent feelings of pleasure. (On the Brain: Craving Music)"



Winter's cold weather can put you in a depressed mood, science's solution to this problem: listen to some of your favorite music. Here's a list of my top 15 favorite songs that get me in a good mood...



1. All The Small Things - Blink182  (I love all of Blink's music, but this is one of my favorite and a classic road trip song that my best friend and I are always jamming out to.)
2. Hey, Soul Sister - Train  (This song was a huge hit for Train this summer. The song is so upbeat and cute, you can't help but be in a good mood when you listen to it.)
3. Dynamite - Taio Cruz  (While I'm not a big Hip-Hip fan, my cheerleading squad loves this song and it has grown on me. However, this is definitely a song that gets you up and dancing.)
4. Stuck Like Glue - Sugarland  (This song is extremely catchy and even has some Jamaican rapping in it, perfect to get you in a great mood.)
5. I'm Only Me When I'm With You - Taylor Swift  (I'm a huge Taylor fan and this song was from her first album and still is one of my favorites to listen to while I'm driving in my car with the windows down.)
6. Slide Along Side - Shiffty  (A 90's song, this was one of my favorite as a kid.)
7. The Middle - Jimmy Eat World  (A great motivational song.)
8. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz  (His beautiful vocals are paired with a ukulele for a great paradise island feel.)
9. That Don't Impress Me Much - Shania Twain  (My mom is a huge Shania fan and growing up, she was always playing her CD's and singing along. This is one of my favorite songs of Shania's.)
10. Pocket Full Of Sunshine - Natasha Beningfield  (If the title isn't enough to convince you that this song is a bright and shiny, feel good song, I don't know what is.)
11. My Front Porch Looking In - Lonestar  (I love country music because it tells a story, and this song tells an adorable story of a man who see's his wife and children as the most beautiful view in the world.)
12. She Likes Me For Me - Blessid Union Of Souls  (Another 90's song from my childhood that always takes me back to the simpler days.)
13. The Great Escape - Boys Like Girls  (This was the anthem of Summer 2008 for my friends and I.)
14. Bubbly - Colbie Caillat  (A feel good song about being in love.)
15. The First Single - The Format  (Fast tempo and upbeat, this song's about being yourself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment