Sunday, November 14, 2010

Big 33

"2011 PNC Big 33 Football Classic will mark the 54th year of outstanding football. The game is known as the “Super Bowl of High School football. Each year the game is shown on national TV and provides a great opportunity to showcase the best graduating seniors from Pennsylvania and Ohio. (Big 33)"


I was lucky enough to be nominated by my cheerleading coach to tryout for the Big 33. I didn't really know what to expect, but once I arrived I realized there was about 30 other girls just like me there to tryout for a spot on one of the squads. Our day consisted of learning a cheer and dance, tumbling, jumping, and some stunting. We were taught a dance and cheer and then evaluated on it about an hour later; talk about pressure. We also were evaluated on our jumping and tumbling skills. Lastly, they wanted us to do a few one-legged stunts, mainly to see what the flyers could do. Being a flyer, I had to show off my best one-legged stunts, flying on a group of girls who have never lifted me before. I always find it humorous when someone lifts me for the first time because I always get the same reaction, "You're so light!" Now I'm definitely not the smallest 18 year old, and sometimes people in this sport don't always look at me and think flyer; but I've been flying since I was 6 and I've learned to hold my weight so I feel lighter than I am. Needless to say, they were a strong group and very sturdy to fly on; so I hit my heel-stretch and scorpion with confidence. I really hope I make the squad. If I do I will get paired up with a Special Needs child and he or she will cheer along side me at the big game. This year the kids have a big surprise waiting for them; they get to wear cheerleading uniforms, just like ours. We won't find out the results till December but I really hope I get the opportunity to experience an event like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment